- Datum: 3 juli, 2019
- Tijd: 9:30 - 17:00
- Locatie: Online
- Kosten: Free
In this workshop / hackathon we will exchange experiences from various domains on how we respond to the dilemma of the ever-increasing demands of policy makers of delivering more accurate ànd faster models for model-based policy analysis. We will use the National Water Model as a case to explore the possibilities of shortening the run time of the National Water Model. We will identify for which topics the participants can cooperate.
09.30 – 10.00 Registration and coffee
10.00 – 12.30 Plenary session
- The ever-increasing demands of policy makers in drought risk management. Neeltje Kielen, Rijkswaterstaat
- How the National Water Model pushes itself beyond its limits. Bennie Minnema, Deltares
- Current dilemma’s in the Exploration & Production sector of the oil and gas-industry: the trade-off between precision and accuracy. Christian Bos, TNO
- Weather and climate modelling in the era of Big Data. Ben Wichers Schreur, KNMI
- How PBL responds to detailed ‘emergency-questions’ of politicians. Sido Mylius, PBL – Low-hanging fruit solutions? Simpler concepts, stochastic modelling, high-performance computing, AI-techniques, cloud computing, quantum computing?
- Panel discussion facilitated by Lennart Booij
13.30-15.30 Parallel working sessions, using the NWM case
In parallel working sessions we will further explore the possibilities to shorten the run time of the National Water Model along the following themes:
- Simplifying concepts
- Stochastic analysis versus time-series analysis
- Hardware and high performance computing possibilities
- Data-driven modelling, AI-techniques
Each session starts with a pitch after which we will address the following questions:
- Are there any ‘low-hanging fruit’ solutions?
- What do we NOT know yet? – Which topics should be explored further?
- How can different domains cooperate?
Participation is free, however, please register in advance by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.